My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia in 2010. This is a blog about coming to terms with her absent mind.

Sunday 12 February 2012

Update on the update

I can't honestly say that there's much change to report regarding Ma. When I visit she is usually in the chair, eyes shut, sometimes asleep and sometimes talking to herself. When she opens her eyes she is clearly affected by her medication and cannot focus for more than a second or two if that. Physically she is doing really well, mentally it is difficult to tell at the moment. I have no doubt that she will have been affected to some degree, that pretty much goes with the territory, but only time will tell by how much.

Worryingly the nursing staff are also having problems getting her to eat or drink anything, I keep taking things in to try but it's almost impossible to get her to focus on taking a drink or something from a spoon. It is not only worrying it is also frustrating and incredibly distressing.

Peter visited her yesterday which was really handy because I was able to go and meet H at the station. She's here for half term so she will be lovely company for me for a week.

Update later perhaps. I hope you are all having a nice weekend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They are going to withdraw her sleeping tablets for the next couple of days and hopefully that will mean she will be less drowsy. There is talk of sending her home midweek. I hope to God she's more alert and capable by then.

3 comments:

  1. I'm thinking of you - I know what that "running on empty" feeling is like. I hope you will have a good time with H this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are they expecting you to look after your mum single-handed or will they provide additional care as they did last time, when she comes home?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A

    It's 10:24 on Monday morning. I am in the middle of a phone marathon trying to find out. The ward just want to send her home. Her social worker and GP are both on holiday, the Home Intervention people have referred me to social services. I'm waiting for the duty social worker to get back to me. One thing, Occ Health haven't delivered any equipment yet so she can't come home until they do.

    I dread to think what effect 11 days and counting with a catheter will have on things.

    ReplyDelete