My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia in 2010. This is a blog about coming to terms with her absent mind.

Sunday 5 February 2012

A bit brighter

Just back from the hospital and Ma is looking a tiny bit brighter, still not really responding to conversation and keeps her eyes shut most of the time. But I did manage to get her to drink one of those little tubs of orange juice you get in hospital (like the ones you get on an aeroplane) and also about 2/3 of a sucky cup filled with tea, so that was a good thing. I had a good chat with the nurses and they said that they are having real difficulties getting her to eat or drink anything, she has a line in to get some fluid into her but of course she keeps pulling it out.

They are hopeful that they will get her sitting in a chair tomorrow which is great.

She's definitely a better colour and less clammy than she was yesterday, so all in all much happier about things.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a photo to add. Obviously the weather was horrible and I did think that I would be at home all day but then Peter decided to stay at home (not unreasonably I might add, I wouldn't want to schlepp across in this weather either) so of course I had to go out to the hospital. However, I'm not sure I would've stopped to find something to photograph anyway... So here is some mint to brighten your day.


3 comments:

  1. Glad your Ma is on the mend-thinking of you both.Here if you need anything.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bee, in my mum's hospital red lids on the water jugs and red trays for food indicated that the patient needed 'help' to eat and/or drink. It didn't help her much, but the idea is good.

    A (hoping italics work!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could smell that mint, Bee. Glad your mum is a little better. Try and get some 'me' time, if you can! :) xx

    ReplyDelete