My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia in 2010. This is a blog about coming to terms with her absent mind.

Thursday 5 January 2012

An Illustration

Processing verbal instruction is becoming more and more difficult for her. The following example is from this evening and is fairly typical - it could be adapted to any situation from cleaning her teeth to using a knife and fork to taking her tablets. I happened to find it quite amusing tonight but sometimes it drives me to the edge of meltdown.

Come on Ma, you're cold and dozing on the sofa, time for bed.

Yes ok. *eyes closed* Where am I going?

To bed. Come on... *helps her to sit up*

Where's that?

In your bedroom.

Oh ok. *lies down on sofa again*

Come on... *helps put feet on the floor*

Ok. *puts feet up again and lies down*

No! Come on, up you get. *helps her to stand* *turns for the door* *turns back* *Ma lying on sofa*

Not here! In your bedroom...

Oh yes that's right. I thought this was my bedroom.

Up you get then.

Yes ok. *closes eyes*

*gets her up and off the sofa* *guides her to the door*

Where am I going?....

She's now in bed but probably won't stay there. Often she's desperate for sleep but then gets up a couple of hours later believing she's been in bed all night.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh - it's like you have a camera into my home. Exactly. {HUG}

    ReplyDelete