My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia in 2010. This is a blog about coming to terms with her absent mind.

Wednesday 9 November 2011

Bathroom flooring and birthdays

So... how long does it take for sodium valproate to kick in? It's been nearly two weeks and we've just had one of the worst sundowners yet.

Overnight was very much an up and downer culminating in me giving up at 5am. However I managed to keep her out of the shower until just after 7. Seeing as we were up bright and early (insert brightly smiling face) I thought it was a good day to nip into Ramsbottom and organise some new bathroom flooring. That done we picked up a few bits in Morrisons and then over to The Lounge for a coffee. Ma decided she was a bit peckish so ordered some toast. I had tea and spent the next 30 minutes assuring Ma that no I didn't want a few chips. Although I suspect that she did...

We hadn't been home for more than 10 minutes when some flowers arrived for me. A huge surprise and all the more lovely for it.

This afternoon I took Ma to the hairdressers for a wash and blow dry then home via a brief stop at Mave and Vic's. The restlessness started at about half 2 and by 4 she was in full flood with all the usual stuff. It is now 17:37 and she's just coming out of it. She's in bed with a ham sandwich and a cup of tea. I am utterly wrung out.

However the wine is just open and I'm off to enjoy the utterly underwhelming #hippyquiz and the rest of my birthday. Cheers m'dears!

No comments:

Post a Comment