My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia in 2010. This is a blog about coming to terms with her absent mind.

Thursday 20 October 2011

Day Centre

Well what a difference a few weeks of distress makes.

This morning I took the decision not to tell her from the get-go that she was going to the day centre after her reaction last night. I took her tea and tablets as usual.

I don't know what I've been doing all night.

You've been sleeping

Well that's terrible!

As I was ringing Will to wish him a happy 20th birthday (I demand a recount, that's just ridiculous) she was in the bathroom like a flash and for the first time in months started the shower going without any trouble. Well, apart from running it at a slow trickle and having the temperature at scald that is. So shower done and breakfast eaten, I let her sit with a coffee until about 10 minutes before the bus was due then casually hellped her to put her coat on.

Where am I going?

To the day centre.

Oh ok. Have I been there before?

And when the bus arrived she went off quite happily with the driver.

I spent the day hoovering, dusting, making up a bed for my brother, going to Tesco for Betsy etc. Oh and a bit of reading and loafing thrown in for good measure.

On her return she was perfectly fine although clearly and understandably tired. She's eaten all her tea (ham sandwich, piece of fruit cake, banana) and told me all about her day. As an experiement I recorded a bit of the conversation but can't work out how to upload it on to here. If anyone knows how to insert a sound file on here, could you let me know please?



There was something else I was going to put in here but can't just remember what it was. So there's a good chance that there'll be a bit of an update later.


2 comments:

  1. God, Bee, I completely misunderstood your Twitter ref. to this yesterday and thought your mother had died! Replied @richfordbabe saying 'Oh dear'.

    So sorry... you must think I am an idiot - and yes I feel idiotic. Great news that she went off to day centre happily. This is a really honest, brave and compelling blog.

    Am huge fan of your IPD cookbook, and refer to it constantly. Hope you're well, Love, Lisa E

    ReplyDelete