My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia in 2010. This is a blog about coming to terms with her absent mind.

Saturday 18 June 2011

Playing away

My planned quick getaway this morning was slightly scuppered by Ma breaking the flush mechanism on the loo in her bathroom. The flush mechanism is easily repaired and it really isn't much of an issue because there are several other loos available but it sent Ma into a decline whereupon she went back to bed for two hours and cried a lot. Obviously I couldn't leave her in such a state so I pootled about until she was ready to get up then fed her breakfast, cleared up and left at about half 10.

The journey was the usual mix of slow-ish traffic, bad weather en route, stopped traffic due to rubber-necking a three car pile up on the OTHER carriageway etc. etc. So six hours after I set off, hello North Devon. As predicted, the house was fairly empty although Will was at home and not at Abi's as I'd thought. Otherwise the house is in good order, Lily was thrilled to see the children and we've all just scarfed a Chinese. Chicken balls for them, king prawn egg foo yung for me (no noodles ironically) whilst watching Kung Fu Panda. As a result of this I have booked tickets to see Kung Fu Panda 2 in 3D with  my daughter tomorrow (Pullman seats - get us!).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Father's day tomorrow. Exactly seven months to the day since my wonderful dad left us and I can't tell you how much the whole thing upsets me this year. I have tears running down my face as I type this. I miss him so very very much. The silly sense of humour, the Basil Brush laugh, our daily phone calls that often went on for an hour or more. His compassion and wise counsel, his love and affection. He was a great party animal, adored my mother, custard, a drink and a tidy drawer. He was deeply loved by so very many people and is deeply missed by all of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ohhh! So THAT's what  the new +1 button at the bottom of the page does!

2 comments:

  1. What??!!!! (does it do, that is?!)

    I miss my Dad too, he died in February 1998, never a day goes by when I don't think of him but it does get easier, Bee, really it does. Sending you big hugs. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a bit similar to the Like button on FB but for searches on Google. At least that's what I think the link says!

    ReplyDelete