My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia in 2010. This is a blog about coming to terms with her absent mind.

Thursday 26 May 2011

Time Out

I'm away from here in the morning for a week and I suppose that it is inevitable that I am feeling guilty about feeling glad. Not about seeing himself (although clearly I am) but just to have a proper break which isn't three days, two of which are spent on the M5/M6.

We went to the garden centre today, we needed bird food and I needed a cook shop fix. Bird food, new feeder and funky garlic press later we had lunch in the cafe. Ma wasn't hungry but managed to force down chicken and leek pie, chips, carrots, broccoli and peas. I had a piece of quiche (left the pastry, not being particularly virtuous just vile pastry) and salad. It was very busy in the cafe, seemingly the place to lunch for the over 60s in Ramsbottom.

Several times while we were there I'd turn to look for Ma and she'd be standing somewhere not really looking at anything. I think it should be called 'dementia demeanor'. It's not the same as someone standing waiting for another person to pole up, it's a combination of a particular posture and disconnection from her surroundings. I don't think she really likes the garden centre much, at least not the garden-y bits as she's never ever been a gardener of any description, but she does like the chips.

1 comment:

  1. That term "Dementia Demeanor" is perfect.. I'm going to start using it.

    ReplyDelete