My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia in 2010. This is a blog about coming to terms with her absent mind.

Sunday 8 May 2011

Sunday

I need to learn to keep arrangements to myself until the last possible moment.

We had planned a trip to see Auntie Peg today which meant Ma was up at half five getting ready. And then asked me every five minutes if it was time to leave until we did in fact leave. At 11:30.

Lovely lovely lunch with Auntie Peg and then saw my cousin Sue for an hour or so. Serious catching up time.

Today's observation:

When we are driving along she obsesses about road signs. Reading off every single road number and destination. I've begun to realise that this isn't control freakery (well not entirely! Old habits and all that...) but more about trying to understand where she is because she no longer recognises routes she has driven for 44 years. Not that it really helps, sadly.  This realisation has stopped me getting wound up to the point of madness at being told how to get to places I have also known for 44 years.

I'm not saying it won't irritate me, just that I can let it go a bit.

Small but important realisation.

No comments:

Post a Comment